Popular Posts

Monday 22 February 2016

Day 6 and 7

What a great couple of days.  We made this very quick decision yesterday morning that we were going to go to Bush Gardens.  We have no idea what next week has in store with Ben's blood results etc so we need to take every good day as we have it and really make the most of it.  If his bloods have dropped further tomorrow then there is no chance of being able to do very much as we will need to keep going in and out of the hospital to get checked.  However, tomorrow is tomorrow.
So we took the bull by the horn, threw a heap of things into a bag and set off.  It was obvious by my clothing for the weekend that we made the decision pretty quickly.  I wore the brown cord skirt with black vest, odd cream throw thing and ancient black flip flops pretty well!!  Didn't quite look the part at Daytona Beach which was our first stop!
Only about an hour ish away Daytona beach was as described.  Miles of golden sand.  Nothing else really going on out of season so it was a bit of a quick stop off.  We then headed for Tampa.  It was a typical car journey with an eleven and a three year old.  The normal things- Are we nearly there yet? I am hungry. I need a wee, coupled with the odd scrap in the back and a huge growl from Dean who exclaimed a number of times that we were turning round and going home.  We didn't though!  Do parents really do that?  Actually turn round and go back??
For a while it was just like any other trip.  I forgot that Ben was ill and that Chloe was bonkers and it for at least an hour felt like we were just a normal family on their holidays.  That was until we made a top off at Denny's.  Again all quite normal really until I was approached by a woman who resembled Pat Butcher but without teeth.  She casually walked over to our table where we had started our meal, tapped my on the arm and asked at the top of her American voice - "waaaardssss heee gorrrrrrrrrrt?!  For a second I was about to answer a cheese burger and chips as I genuinely thought she wanted to know what Ben was eating but before I could open my mouth she said - "the carnceeeer weeerrrrrr is it?"
OMG! can you actually believe it.  Ben rolled his eyes and I began to explain.  Why?  I have not idea it just seemed to be polite.  Anyway, after a good old chuckle about how we could have handled that differently we have decided that should this occur again then the answer will be standardised.
"My Son has a very rare and highly contagious disease.  It has already threatened to wipe out Britain so we have brought him to the US to a) save the British people and b) to try to cure this rare and highly contagious disease that spreads by just looking at him.  I will take pictures of the face of the next person to ask such a bold and outright question. 
So that kind of spoilt the normal bit for a while but that soon resumed once we were back on our way and the kids fought and Dean was too hot.  I was too cold and Chloe ....well was Chloe!
Next stop Tampa.  We booked a hotel in about 3 minutes from Deans phone..  Dean had illusions of being in a Marina where we could watch the boats whilst sipping a lovely bottle of Sauvignon whilst eating the freshest seafood know to man.  It was similar.  We pulled up to our hotel, which just happened to be the airport hotel.  On an industrial park with the noise of landing planes at each corner.  Ben thought this was hilarious and proceeded to take the P out of Deans choice for most of the evening.  I on the other hand played dutiful wife.  I complemented his ability to drive all that way and told him that the car park was handy as it was closely located the the main entrance!
It actually turned out to be great.  On the second floor was a walkway that led you to a really funky Mall type of things with great shops and restaurants.  So we didn't have the fresh seafood on the Marina as such, but the Sushi was fab.  We had an early night and then off to Busch Gardens today.
It is strange that in your head you can remember a place that you have been and I have previously visited Busch Gardens.  I therefore spent the whole evening telling Ben and Chloe what it was like and what to expect.  We arrived there and I did not recognise the place one bit and everything I had told them was clearly in my imagination.  It was still good though.  Ben was slightly tired but after having a few little push abouts in Chloes buggie he got on with it and had a great time.  Ben and Dean did the crazy rides and Chloe and I spent the day riding around in flying elephants and talking to sesame street characters.  The Boys did at one point get me to take Ben on this ride, which apparently I would like.  Now, I am not fearful of roller coasters etc....I just do not get them.  I can not work out why anyone would want to sit for a number of seconds, being ragged about, with their eyes shut, only to get off, throw up and feel glad it was over.  It seems like a waste of time to me.  But I did it anyway...FOR BEN!!!! and yes it was exactly how I imagined, it did not disappoint!
So a really great day.  Smiles all round and after a very long drive home it is time for a Sauvignon and a couple of chapters of my book.
Bloods tomorrow, chemo Friday and then Proton starting Monday and counting.
Goodnight all x

4 comments:

  1. Bearing in mind Dean and Ben think White Hart Lane is the place to be i should the the hotel was luxury in comparison!!! Up the Palace love Jimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully Chateau Davis will not disappoint! And whatever you do hide Pete's golf clubs or you might not see Dean all weekend :-)... On the other hand....
    So glad you've had a few days to chill before the proton therapy begins - and do remember to take pictures of all the Americans who you tell about the contagious disease!
    S xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the contagious disease idea. You should definitely run with that one. Glad you are having some good times out there too
    Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read about Ben in local paper. Was shocked. Thinking of you all. Hope everything goes well in Florida. Natasha Shortland xx

    ReplyDelete