Popular Posts

Friday 26 February 2016

Day 10

I officially know no one here! We officially know no one here!
That's not always a bad thing. I once did a course a number of years ago and as part of the course we reviewed our individual styles. Then we tried out new styles in what was described as a safe environment. Following this our peers critiqued our new style. Well, I was slated for my new and fake style, that didn't suit me and was dated. Hardly safe!
So today, in our no friend environment I decided to try out a new style of mothering and wifing! Today I was to call everyone darling, smile always and never get frustrated or raise my voice. Today I was to be a Mother Earth type. Slowly wandering in a state of ultimate calm and well being. Children could get messy and fight, husband could continue to irritate and demand and I, well I would just smile and agree in my new found soft mumsy/wife voice. It will make be a better person and will increase my ability to cope during these tough times!
So we went to Universal studios, where else to try out the calm new you?
The drive there was great. The husband complained about the traffic and the fact that it would have been less busy if I hadn't insisted on applying suncream to our children before leaving the house. Don't you know it is much easier to just leave it till later. What ? later when they are red raw? I agreed with him though and even apologised for ensuring that Ben (who on chemo) is even more susceptible to sun burn. I even agreed that leaving 8 minutes earlier would have made the day far more enjoyable. I continued to smile my intoxicating weird smile. I felt relaxed, I felt humble.
Could you believe that there was a que into the car park? If I hadn't insisted on actually dressing either child then we would have definitely not had to que. What a fool? But I didn't call him that. I simply agreed. It was liberating.
Once inside the park we ventured on every ride. I giggled at the sheer excitement of feeling sick, apprehensive and of being jiggled around. That's the new me!
Of course you can have ice cream for lunch!
Of course you can lay upside down in your buggy whilst I am trying to push you and prevent you from falling out again!
Of course you can go on that ride with its 40 minute que again instead of going for the wee that you needed!
Of course, of course, of course. This is the new me!
Then came the ET ride. I suddenly had a memory of being 8 years old and the magical moment that ET said goodbye to us at the end of the ride, and then I relived it. This time 30 years later and with my own lovely family. "Goodbye Chloe, goodbye Ben, goodbye Joanna, goodbye Arthur" . WHAT? Who is Arthur? Of course.... dean. He had thought it hilarious to give a different name. Then the moment went. I continued to smile, my new sickly smile.
We continued in watching Shrek, going on the Mummy and really did have fun. Even when Chloe wanted to wrap up Bens new ET figure in my jumper as it was cold did I remove it and give it to her. Because that is what we do. We freeze for our children or our children's ET figures!
I managed it all day. I was new. A different and calm person. UNTIL.... The car journey home. Well let's just say after 30 minutes of listening to them go on and on and on. I flipping lost it. No flipping more, no moooorrrrrrreeeeee. Shuuuuuuut uuuupppppp. And then it was quiet.
So the new me came and went.
We got in and the old me returned. I screamed at everybody to get ready and they did. I ushered everyone out and they went and we ended our lovely day with a fab meal on the complex at the house we have been lucky enough to stay at, thanks to our great friends. Not only that but we were greeted with a champagne treat from some other friends who had arranged this for us from home. It was fantastic. Great food, great atmosphere.
So the new me, who knows no one and has no friends here was soon replaced with the old me, the old me with fantastic friends! We thank you and miss you all.
So from us... Goodnight! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. So having just seen the 'new you' on cameral (or was that the old you?) make-up-less & trying to enjoy some sunshine whilst dealing with your family... I'd say enjoy the sunshine, relax, chill out - put your foot down with a very firm hand about NOT going to a park today.... and make sure you eat every twix in the house. They're bad for Pete and he will enjoy the trip to Costco in May to buy some more.
    And go shopping, Dean will forget all about theme parks if you let him loose in the ground floor of Bloomingdales for an hour or so.
    There is a wine bar outside the mall too.... does amazing cocktails :-)
    Sending all our love xxx

    ReplyDelete